Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Look who's EIGHT!


So I definitely didn't win the mother of the year award for this birthday, not that I ever have, but sometimes I just feel like such a failure! I'm sure all you Mom's can relate with me on this: It is Cole's birthday, I want it to be the best day of the year for him! I want him to feel special and important and to have tons of fun! Well the party we had "planned" didn't quite turn out the way we wanted it to. Three of his four friends he had invited couldn't come to his "sleepover" so we changed the plans last minute and decided to go to a movie with Charlie. I don't know why I didn't want to just cancel the whole thing and do it another day like Mike told me to do, I guess because an eight year old that is looking forward to this day for a year would take it pretty hard if I said "sorry Cole, we are just going to have to wait until another time to have your party." I know it sounds so dumb even as I type this. Why couldn't I have just postponed the party until everyone he wanted there could come? I don't know?

Well the movie was great and after I gave the boys options, either pizza at a restaurant of their choice or pick up pizza and eat it at home. They both decided, home and then they could eat pizza and play video games! Okay sounded good to me and they were both excited. We got pizza, rented a movie that he had been dying to see again and headed home. When we got home it quickly became apparent that we were not going to be playing video games after all.....play station had taken it's last breath I guess and Dad wasn't home to fix it. UGH....doesn't seem so devastating I guess unless you live and breath to play video games, especially when you are only allowed to play them on the weekends! Haha! Well I hadn't even made my poor son a cake because the plan had been to go to Yoplicity, well after junk at the movie and pizza they were much to full for that but I felt terrible that I hadn't even made a cake or let him blow out candles! It seemed to me that his birthday party was such a flop! I couldn't stand it so I quickly made a cake and frosted it with leftover frosting from Joey's party so it turned a pretty rose color when I mixed the green and blue colors that I had in the fridge. Oh well, it was a cake right!? I opened the drawer to pull out some candles and gee...I always have spares, but not this night! Oh man! So I put eight match sticks in the cake and we sang and he actually thought the matches were really cool! Of course he was too full for cake but at least I could say I made one for him! After that he wanted to play Uno. I really really really don't like Uno, but anything for my boy on his day especially when things had gone the way they had!

I know I'm rambling but I wanted to show you how the day went and then show you what I realized when I was looking at the few pictures that I took of his special day. He is smiling! In almost every picture he has that great big precious smile on his face! That is what it's all about! It really didn't matter what we did or who we did it with as long as we were doing something with him! I sure do love my boy Cole! He might be putting more grey hairs on my head than all the other three combined but he has a heart so huge and it shows every time he smiles!



4 comments:

Ali said...

Katy, you have made me cry with your last two blog posts! Gosh, I love that boy...and all your kids for that matter. I certainly can relate about how you felt, but you are right...his smile says he had a great day, just having your attention. :) Never doubt that you are a fantastic mom...your kids and your husband adore you, and they feel your love even on really weird days like that. Love ya!

Krazy J's said...

Well, I am not a mom but I do recall feeling like a terrible wife one year for Andy's birthday and for similar reasons. I had all these plans to take him out with friends and go out for dessert and so I had nothing planned for the actual day (we were going to do it the upcoming weekend). Then at the last minute, he decided to fly home (back when he was a pilot) to WA and see his family for a few days so I had essentially done nothing for him. I felt awful. I made up for it later that year by surprising him with an xbox for his captain upgrade but still - when you love someone you totally want to make it special. Plans may have fallen apart but it's clear to all of us how much you LOVE your kids!! You did the best you could with what the day threw at you and that makes you a GREAT Mom!! :)

Emma said...

Awe Coleslaw! You're getting way to big too fast. I love that kid. I love his silly grin, his crazy mischevious grin, and his uh oh I am in trouble and I know it so I'm just going to smile grin lol. Love you Coley!

Emma said...

Awe Coleslaw! You're getting way to big too fast. I love that kid. I love his silly grin, his crazy mischevious grin, and his uh oh I am in trouble and I know it so I'm just going to smile grin lol. Love you Coley!